Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday 2 January 2010

G D Thyagaraj - Women Working in the Paddy Fields

This painting belongs to a gentleman living in India who is an artist himself and has been very helpful to me in finding out information about the three Raj brothers.  He was happy for me to show this painting on the blog.

It has similarities to the photo taken from the cine film which I posted a while ago.  The sky is very dark so I am unsure whether a storm is brewing or whether evening is falling?  Also on the right where the signature is I assume is an irrigation channel.
I think by now I have posted plenty copies of his signature to show clearly that his initials are 'G D'.  Hope you like this one.  Best wishes to everyone for 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mr.Richard!Recently I visited Coimbatore to meet an artist named Mr.K.Sreenivasan from Chennai who had exhibited his works there.He is a very senior artist who had seen the Raj brothers.His view was that Mr.Thyagaraj was the best painter amongst the trio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha. Sorry I can't agree Ramesh (but I might be biased). Although all three brothers had their strengths ThyagaRaj often couldn't get his cows right. And ArulRaj often seemed 'rushed' compared to the others. Isn't it a pity that none of the other 7 of their siblings didn't leave any art for us all to enjoy. Their sister Emma only died a couple of years ago. She was curator in the National Gallery in Melbourne, Australia for about 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Watermark. One of Thyaga's paintings listed earlier does show some cows with very long necks and I commented on this when I first acquired that painting so I have to agree. My favourite is still Paul as he was the one that the family first owned.

    ReplyDelete