Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Tuesday 13 December 2011

G D Thyagaraj - Watercarriers in front of a temple

Today I am adding a painting by Thyagaraj, it shows a shows ladies collecting water from a river bank or a water tank next to a temple?  It think it has lost some colour in the photo, might be better in the real thing.

2 comments:

  1. I have a painting very like the one above that I would like to sell but have no idea of the price to charge. The only difference is the women are coming from a well and there is a large tree in the square. I bought the painting at an auction about 3 years ago. Sold it to someone who asked that I have it framed, matted and add UV glass. I had the framing done and the buyer did not take it. I spent $206.41 on just the framing. I would like to get at least $600 for the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Unless it is a particular good painting by Thyagaraj with fresh colours based on my experience that could be a bit high. I realise that you have invested a lot in having it framed which will be of valuer to a buyer as long as the frame suits the room where they intend to hand it otherwise it is wasted money. I would have expected that under $400 to be more realistic, of course these comments are very general as I have not seen a photo of your painting. Any chance of you sending me a photo by email? My email address is on the front page of the blog at the top. Thanks Goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete