Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Saturday 15 April 2017

Oil Painting of Kanchenjunga

My mother purchased an oil painting around 1965 in Calcutta it is approximately 36" x 24" it depicts a mountain in Nepal called Kanchenjunga which I believe is the 3rd largest in the world.
It is signed in the bottom right hand corner is yellow paint and dated.  There also appears some writing in red paint just below and left of the main signature which is overpainted and not readable?
The signature in yellow might read "h shah 1966" does anyone have any better ideas?
I have done some Googling and have not found any similar painting by an H Shah.  I did find a famous artist 'Himmat Shah" but his works seem different.  Can anyone come up with any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment