Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Thursday 12 November 2009

G D Thyagaraj - Bullock Cart Train

I got quite excited when I came home for lunch on Wednesday as the post man had put a card through my letter box saying he had tried to deliver a parcel and I was out.  He had left it with my neighbour across the road.  The only parcel I was expecting was from San Diego in the USA where I had recently purchased my first painting by G D Thyagaraj.  I have tried for a number of years to acquire one of his paintings but had always been out bid.  In the event I got the painting for a reasonable price and the postage from the USA to the UK was $33 or £20.60 at the current exchange rate.  A copy of the painting can be found below along with a close up of his signature.  Regular readers will know I am keen to ensure his signature is correctly read in future.
The photograph colours are not quite right but the painting is in very good condition with no inscriptions on the reverse.  It depicts a bullock cart convoy on a dusty road, however there are no clues as to a name for the painting or of its age as it was not in a frame when I received it.  I also found a reference a the Christie's Auction site to Thyaga being born in 1930 at Kodiakanal, this will make him the youngest of the three brothers.  This is the first time I have found any mention of the year of his birth or place of birth.  See the Christie's link.
I found a reference to Thyagaraj on another blog tonight of an Indian painter based in Mumbai called Sattar S. Shaik you can see his paintings at his blog they are of realistic Indian village scenes and apparently he was inspired by Thyaga's paintings when he was a boy.  His work is very interesting and worth a look.  Hope you like this latest painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment