Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Thursday 5 November 2009

Pankajam Paulraj (Mrs)- Four Water carriers

A few years ago while trying to research Paul Raj I can across an obituary notice of a Mrs Pankajam Paulraj in the online edition of the Hindu.  It says that she was the wife of the late G D Paulraj Artist and that she died at her home in Chennai on 23 June 2002.


This clearly states that she died after her husband, I do not know when Paul might have died and would be interested in information from anyone who might know or have a newspaper cutting with details. I do know that he was alive in 1979 as I have been given a newspaper article from that year.  You can view the obituary at the following link.  http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/2002/06/24/16hdline.htm


Earlier this year I came across a water colour signed by Pankajam and until that time I had not know that she was an artist in her own right.  My wife loves this painting and has it hanging in the bedroom.  I could not afford the postage of the painting framed from the USA to the UK so I had to get it shipped unframed.  We have since had it framed on arrival in the UK.  The style is quite different from that of her husbands, hope you like it.  It anyone has any photos of other works by her I would love to see them.  A copy of her painting follows along with a close up of her signature.






2 comments:

  1. Thank you sir for visiting my blog and placing a comment there.I have not heard of Mr.Paulraj but he sure was a fine painter!
    And it was lovely to know that you stayed in India.Did you visit again ever since you left?
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed to find some of my mothers (Pankajam) art on the internet. Please feel free to contact me via leubapaulraj at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete