Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Thursday 3 December 2009

G D Arul Raj - Hay Carts

This is a very large painting which measures 34 x24 inches unframed.  I got in from California earlier this year but had not realised at the time it was so large and then could not afford the cost of the shipping due to the weight of the frame.  I had to get the seller to take it out of the frame and then post it, I think he was trying to overcharge me for postage as the cost of the painting was fairly modest.
The photograph shows it in the original frame, I have still got to frame it and will get it done next year.  The painting is on board not on paper and it is hard to tell what medium has been used to paint it, not being an artist myself.  I have recently been told that Arul might have served in the Indian Army before becoming a professional painter.  There are several large paintings by Arul on Ebay from time to time.  There is one in Las Vegas in the USA and the seller is asking $15,000 and has been for many months.  So far he has not managed to sell it. The size could be the same as mine or it might be slightly larger.  The item number on Ebay is currently 3801 3042 5315 (December 2009).  A small photo follows below.
The seller describes it as a water colour and gouache, what exactly is gouache can any one tell me?  Any way I hope you enjoy these two large paintings.

2 comments:

  1. Gouache are thicker than transperent watercolor and hence little opeque and somewhat sticky (because of some gum contents I think). so its medium in beewteeen transperent watercolor and poster colors
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouache

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ajay
    Thanks for the description I will have to do a Google search and try and check what the painting was done with, I will visit wikipedia as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete