Admirer of Paul Raj Paintings

My photo
Paul was born in Kodaikanal on 22 September 1914 and died on 2 October 1979. G D Arulraj was born in 1925 and died in June 1972 while visiting India. Arul worked at Laguna Beach in the 60's and 1970's. G D Thyagaraj might have been born in 1922 and I am told that he probably died sometime before 1981. He moved to northern India as a young man. I lived in India as a child and spent a lot of time in Calcutta. My mother purchased several paintings directly from Paul Raj while living in Madras and this got me interested in his works. I then discovered he had two brothers Arul Raj and Thyaga Raj who were both fantastic artists. I could not find much information on the internet so decided to set up my own blog. Subsequently a Facebook tribute site has also been created to the memory of the three brothers. Contact me at: rajbrothers@hotmail.co.uk

Wednesday 2 December 2009

G D Paul Raj - Country Road

I have been busy over the last few days getting the house tidied up as my eldest daughter is getting married at the end of December.  Todays painting is another I own by G D Paul Raj called "Country Road".  It has suffered some water damage at some point and it had a lot of foxing in the centre on the large tree trunk.  I had to get a new mount and non-reflective glass and then reassembled the frame and it does not look too bad now.
Once again I seem to like the nice blue sky, maybe it is because we have so little blue sky in England during the winter months.  The original mount was quite badly damaged by water but I have saved the inscription that was on the back and I have attached this to the rear of the rebuilt frame.  The frame is contemporary, I guess from the 1960s?  The inscription shows the title "Country Road" and the price of Rs 95 /- (which is amazing), and the artist's name and address.  I paid a lot more then Rs 95/- for this one and it was not in perfect condition.
This shows G D Paul Raj as still living in Kodaikanal in Tamil Nadu where he was born and could help to date the painting.  A piece of advice to all you amazing artists out there please date your paintings in some way as well as signing and giving them a name, it would make things so more helpful to collectors.  Hope you all like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment